For some reason blogger is not letting me put a title on this post - so for now it's nameless.

Although I enjoy knitting my Sockapalooza pal's socks, every know and then I have to take a break from the US1 needles. So on a recent trip to Milwaukee and Chicago, I finally broke down and started a One Skein Wonder.
Pattern: One Skein Wonder by Glampyre Knits (did you know she's pregnant?)
Size: 17" shoulder measurement
Yarn: Malabrigo worsted weight in charrua from Purlescence Yarns in Sunnyvale
Needles: Denise Interchangeables US9 and US 6
Time to complete: Started June 22, finished July 4 - 12 days
Comments: It really is a one skein wonder! I have 32.5 inches left of yarn. I made a couple of very minor modifications - I did 8 rows (1.25 inches) of k2p2 ribbing on both of the sleeves and 5 rows of k2p2 ribbing along the edges. At first I was completely confused by what was the sleeves and what was the body. In case anyone else is as confused as I was, everything in between the 2 markers is body (ie everything you put on a stitch holder at the end of the left sleeve) and everything to the left of the left stitch marker is the left sleeve and vice versa for the right sleeve. I also wasn't sure how far into the armpit I should pick up stitches. I went right up to the sleeve ribbing and it turned out fine.
I really liked this pattern a lot - it was quick , simple and only required one skein of yarn (making it ok to make with Malabrigo). I think I am going to knit a long sleeve version like this one on craftster. I'm not sure if I'll use Malabrigo again (too chunky?) but both the short sleeve version and the long sleeve version will get plenty of use in Berkeley, where it's always a lot colder than you think it should be.

Of course I haven't neglected my sock pal's socks either. Here's the first one, I just finished last night.

I'll post the details of these socks when I finish the second.

My only gripe about this sock is my grafting job at the toe. It's awfully square and pointy at the corners. I think though that once it's on a foot the toe will lay alright.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments about the heel worries I was having. I am now pretty confident that it will fit her, even though I didn't find anyone with a similar foot size to try it on.

My new side project is some baby booties I saw on Brooklyn Tweed. Um, hello, how cute are those?!?!? I happen to have some Cashsoft 4 ply and DK lying around from a gift for a baby shower (which I forgot to post here) and thought I'd make the baby some booties to match. Should be a pretty quick knit. Of course the booties are in addition to the sewing side project I have going on, which is a new quilt for our bed. Here's the top, ready to be marked for quilting.

Hopefully the marking and quilting won't be to painful. Luckily I have all that knitting to work on if I need to take a break.

Comments

Popular Posts