Niner

You would think that with my new fancy MacBook, I'd be writing a lot more. But I'm not. I'm going to try and be better about it though.

Anyway, tomorrow is my birthday. It's the big 2-9. The last birthday before the really big three oh. As I was brushing my teeth last night, I started thinking about my other birthdays ending in a nine.

The year I turned nine, we were living with my aunt and uncle in the 'burbs of Chicago while our house was being built. I remember that birthday quite well because my sister and I were recovering from the chicken pox (I caught them from her.) I had a small birthday (due to the contagiousness and all) with only my aunt and uncle, parents and sister. I think we have pictures of me blowing out the candles somewhere.

I don't really remember much about turning 19, except that I was at Hopkins and I went to Tamber's Nifty Fifties one night (diner food and Indian on the same menu! What more could a girl want?) to celebrate with Tom and Jose. That's when Tom informed me that 19 was the most unexciting age to celebrate. When you turn 18 you can get into R rated movies, 20 is a whole new decade and 21 means no more drinking at E-Level (only you JHU'ers will get that one - basically you can drink at a real bar). I remember that year being one of the most carefree and fun I've had.

This year, I am in major transition mode - I'm back in school, starting a whole new career that I don't know if I'll be any good at, living on a whole new coast and trying to juggle our day to day needs and commuting to Berkeley and San Francisco 3 days a week. It's certainly a different place than anywhere I've ever been, but I am definitely enjoying it! As far as I can figure, it can only get better. Right?

I have decided that this is the year I start fighting aging and treating myself well (not that I don't treat myself well now, but I'll be treating myself even better now). This includes lots of running, yoga, swimming and biking, regular haircuts, manicures, massages, waxings and all the lotions and potions I can find that I think will help. As far as I can figure, once I hit 30 things will start going downhill even faster - and if we have kids, it will probably accelerate. So, this is the year to instill all of those good habits and treat myself well.

Hopefully that doesn't sound too selfish.

Isaac is in charge of the birthday plans. I've gotten several phone calls from him tonite (I'm in Berkeley, he's in Mountain View) asking me all sorts of cryptic questions, like what I am wearing on Saturday (I have a class in the city in the morning), what I'll be taking with me to class, whether or not I have something warm to wear and where the GPS is. I am pretty sure his parents know what the plan is, but they aren't giving any hints. I can't wait to see what he has up his sleeve!

Anyway, happy birthday to me! And to Dave, if you're reading this (if you are, email me!)

Comments

Popular Posts