My sock history

Somehow I started knitting a pair of socks. I'm not really sure how it happened. Maybe because all of my yarn, with the exception of some stuff in progress and the sock yarn I got from the ksks swap, is in a box somewhere. So, I figured I might as well join Socktoberfest. Here are my answers to the questions lolly posted.
  • When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
  • What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
    • So far they've held up great! Of course I've only worn the one finished sock for about a total of five minutes. The 2nd sock is still being worked on.
  • What would you have done differently?
    • I would have made the heel and toe on smaller needles and done the short row toe on the top half of the stitches so that the kitchener stitch is on the bottom of the foot instead of the top (for purely asthetic reasons that no one but me will notice).
  • What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
    • Well, so far I've only used the Socks that Rock. And I'm already picking out new colorways to buy! And I have also been checking out the Koigu kppm with plans to buy some next time I'm at knit happens. I love the idea of superwash too.
  • Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
    • I'm using DPNs right now, which is not actually too bad. I use the Magic Loop method for other small circular knits, so I could see using it for socks. And there's a good description of the 2 circular method in the Sensational Knitted Socks book that definitely seems do-able and has some good points.
  • Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
    • Right now, short-row because it's the only method I know. Plus I like ankle socks, so I can't imagine that flaps will work too well. Who knows though!?!?
  • How many pairs have you made?
    • 1.5 No pictures yet because I can't find the card reader. But let me assure you that they are pretty! If you're nice, maybe you'll get a pair for Christmas.

Comments

Popular Posts