The end of an era (sort of)

Yesterday, WHFS (a local radio station that was a pioneer back in its day) changed its format from "alternative" to "spanish-language pop". I remember being in high school and hearing about the HFStival. At that time, my friends and I would have loved to go, but since we were in high school and didn't really have jobs or the ability to travel places half way across the country on our own, we never went. I think the HFstival and Lollapalooza come about at around the same time and both had killer bands. WHFS was good back then...
When I moved to Baltimore, I started listening to WHFS. It was pretty good, but no where as good as my all time favorite radio station WXRT. In fact, at that point, I think WHFS was already starting to go down hill. We had a similar format radio station in Chicago (Q101) for a couple of years by that point and it was all starting to sound the same. Lately, they seem to only play stuff that is uummm... I don't know what to call it, I guess popular, like Incubus, Linken Park, etc... I know part of is that I am getting old, but on the other hand, that stuff is really just crap.
Anyway, while the change is surprising, it's not that surprising. It's sad to see such an influential (way back when) station go, but on the other hand, it wasn't really the same anymore anyway. I don't know where I'm going to go to listen to Love Lines anymore, but I'm sure that will all get worked out...

Comments

Popular Posts