Finally done with the Clapotis!

I mentioned how ready I was to be done with my Clapotis and I finally finished it on Friday. I absolutely love it. The design is so simple, but ingenious. It's extremely versatile - it can easily be worn as a scarf or shawl and the way the fabric rolls in between the drop stitches make it texturally interesting. Even Isaac said it was cool! I didn't take any pictures of myself modeling it because it's hard to take pictures of yourself wearing something like that and there are like a bajillion pictures already out there.

I blocked it today, but kind of wish I didn't. It doesn't roll in between the drops as much as it used to, but maybe they'll come back with time.

Here's a picture of the blocked Clapotis:
Here's the post-project round up:
Pattern: Clapotis from Knitty (Possibly the most knit pattern ever?!?!) I followed the directions pretty much to the T, except that I did 14 repeats of the straight rows (which is only 1 more repeat than the pattern states).
Yarn: Knitpicks Shimmer in Turquoise Splendor, 4 balls total with the yarn held doubled, some yarn leftover from the last 2 balls (like a fistful of each ball).
Needles: Denise Interchangeable, US 5
Finished dimensions: 19" x 80"

Comments: This pattern was really fun to start knitting at the beginning, but got really, really old after awhile. It was most definitely worth it though, because I LOVE it!!! It's perfect for the weather we have here - warm sometimes, but more often chilly. I decided to do one extra repeat because I was trying to use up all of the yarn, so when balls 1 and 2 ran out, I counted the number of drops at that point, subtracted out the number that would be made by the decrease rows (divided by 2 though since the decrease rows have 2 drops per repeat) and knit that many more repeats. Apparently my calculating was somehow a little off since I have a good amount of yarn leftover, but it's plenty long, so it works out just fine. The Knitpicks Shimmer is super lux too, 30% silk, 70% baby alpaca. I'd definitely use it again for another project, but I wish it came in solid colors. It's cheap enough though that I could just buy whatever color and overdye it. I might have to try it with the leftovers I have. I'm already thinking about making another one in a solid color, maybe smaller with the dyed leftovers? It will have to wait awhile though since I have plenty of other projects in the cue and I want to see how much I really use this one. Oh and I was much more careful winding the third and fourth center pull balls and didn't have any tangling problems, unlike with the first two balls. I may eventually invest in a ball winder, but I think I'd rather have a swift instead.

I've already started my next project (mentioned in the middle of this post) - I had to rip it out twice to get the right needle size and to get the rate of decreases right, but I think it's looking good so far.
The black thick line in the picture is the lifeline (my first ever!) I put in when I switched from US 3 to US 4 needles (just in case I didn't like the size). I'm pretty much basing what I think the pattern is based on this picture. Of course, I'm pretty sure that whatever it comes out like, I'm going to love it. I do wish I had pointier needles since the yarn is so thin. It's almost like thread. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I signed up for Sockapalooza 4. Should be interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts